Sustainability Within BPD Holdings
What Is Sustainability And What Part Can We Play In It?
Sustainability is all about protecting and maintaining the world's natural resources. This issue is becoming increasingly important not only to the company and us as individuals but also to our customers, suppliers and the community at large.
We are all aware of the need to reduce our impact on an already fragile environment. Throughout BPD Holdings we all play a part in mitigating climate change, whether it is simply turning lights, recycling paper, cardboard and cartridges, recommending one of our many energy efficient ventilation systems, energy saving construction membranes or extolling the virtues of Glidevale/Passivent natural daylight solutions.
In May 2008, BPD Holdings received accreditation to ISO 14001, the European standard that addresses the effectiveness of a company's Environmental Management System. The standard is aimed at reducing environmental impact whilst at the same time maintaining profitability. Good practice initiatives are already in place as part of our drive towards the target of carbon neutrality within 5 years.
Reducing Carbon Emissions And Using Natural Resources
BPD Pinxton uses 'green' electricity from renewable energy sources such as wind farms rather than from power stations which release millions of tonnes of carbon dioxide.
Condensate water from the vacuum forming process is collected and reused in the spray shop.
Energy efficient lightbulbs are fitted in the offices but natural daylight is used where possible. Tubular rooflights are fitted in certain locations and cost savings against artificial lighting are being monitored.
Pallets are returned and reused wherever possible.
Factory Recycling - BPD Pinxton
- Plastic - PVC, ABS & PP - All waste is granulated on site, and 100% recycled.
- Aluminium - All waste aluminium is 100% recycled.
- Paper and Cardboard - All waste packaging is 100% recycled.
- Lead - All waste lead is 100% recycled.
Factory Recycling - BPD Merthyr
- Plastic - Polypropylene Waste from membranes in the conversion process is baled, and 100% recycled.
Sourcing Product Material
- Plastic - PVC - 100% of PVC used in production is recycled material. • Plastic - ABS - 90% of ABS used in production is recycled material.
- Plastic - Polypropylene - 75% of PP used in production is recycled material.
- Paper and Cardboard - 80% of packaging used by the company is recycled material.
- Timber - Timber is purchased from firms accredited to sustainable sources such as FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) and PEFC (Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification).
- Paint - Water based paints which have a low impact on the environment are used in all paint spraying operations.
Paper, battery and cartridge recycling is carried out at all other office locations.